10 November 2008

What My Family Gave Me

Grandma Johnson gave me a pile of books, a green thumb and an ear for music.

Grandpa Johnson encouraged me to dress beautifully, praising how I looked in the new clothes he bought me.

Grandma Moan gave me the taste of bread freshly baked in her wood stove and water, freshly pumped from deep in the earth and the knowledge that an 80 year old woman could still chop wood.

Grandpa Moan gave me a vision of an angry Norse god shaking his cane like Thor, shaking the lightning, followed by the thunder of his Norwegian words.

Uncle Manley gave me the chance to overcome his abuse and my shame, and a deep-seated attunement to sex.

Dad gave me a two-wheel bike that I could grow into, a canoe that I could paddle alone around Side Lake, and a love for a neat and clean home.

Mom gave me the chance to be responsible for my sisters and brothers, a childhood with a soundtrack of crooners and show tunes, and a warm cuddle now & then.

No comments: